Bedspace Celebrates Pride Month 2022!
21 06 22
We here at Bedspace hope that everyone is having an amazing Pride Month so far and continues to feel the love and celebration of diversity not only for this month but every second, minute, day, week and year moving forward.
Pride is about inclusion, that no matter who you are or how you identify, you are seen and surrounded by those who understand and will support your journey. YouGov polling shows more than 7 in 10 Brits would support someone close to them who came out as LGBTQ+, and greater numbers of people now feel comfortable being out as their true selves.
Despite the leaps that some parts of society have made toward acknowledging, understanding and accepting the LGBTQ+ community, there is still so much more we can do…
We are so proud at Bedspace to be equal rights employers, creating a safe space not only for our staff but for those individuals we support in the local community. A huge part of our curriculum of support includes a module on Race, Identity & Culture. Within this, we open the door to teaching about diversity and how to treat those around us with respect.
There are so many local organisations and charities throughout the UK making huge steps to provide the LGBTQ+ community with safe places and support where needed. We have listed some below and encourage you to donate where you can for these fantastic causes below:
- UKLGIG are an organisation that works in support of LGBTQ+ people who are having to go through the UK's asylum and immigration system. This charity provides psychological, emotional, and legal support to asylum seekers and runs an online forum to reduce feelings of isolation. Their vision is "a world where there is equality, dignity, respect and safety for all people in the expression of their sexual or gender identity."
- UK Black Pride is Europe's largest celebration for LGBTQ+ people of African, Asian, Caribbean, Middle Eastern, and Latin American descent. Not only does it host a huge annual event in the UK's capital (which moved online in 2021 due to restrictions) but it also celebrates POC members of the community throughout the year.
- Micro Rainbow is a wonderful charity that addresses homelessness, poverty, and social exclusion of LGBTQ+ asylum seekers and refugees.
- Mermaids is a charity founded in 1995 by a group of parents of gender-nonconforming children, originally acting as a small helpline, that now supports transgender youths up to 20 years of age.
- AKT supports UK based LGBTQ+ young people aged 16-25 who are experiencing or facing homelessness or living in an unsafe, hostile environment.They work with young people to get them into safe homes, provide them with the support they need (be it helping them get a job or enrolling them in vocational training), and ensure they're in environments that celebrate their identities.
- Imaan was established in 1999 and is the leading UK charity supporting LGBTQ+ Muslims. It offers support and advice and runs events and panel discussions.
- The Outsider Project is an LGBTQ+ Shelter and Community Centre. Their team support those facing homelessness and work to find them temporary and permanent accommodation alongside providing emotional support.
- Galop work to support LGBTQ+ people experiencing hate crime, domestic abuse, or sexual violence. As well as offering online and phone support, the organisation also refers queer people to specialist services to access help and support.
- ELOP is an organisation which promotes the mental health, wellbeing, empowerment, and equality of LGBTQ+ people. They offer not only support to clients but also help in training and consulting other professionals and those seeking to enhance their understanding of issues facing LGBTQ+ communities.